Our mission is to promote a shared understanding of the harms that result from social biases and a shared commitment to identifying,
removing and/or preventing these biases in organizations, research, legislation, policies, programmes, service delivery, and practices. We do this through:
- Disseminating the BIAS FREE Framework and related information
- Training people in how to use the BIAS FREE Framework
- Supporting applications of the BIAS FREE Framework
Our goal is to support individuals, groups, communities, organizations and institutions
across all spectrums of society, in high-, middle-, and low-income countries alike to use the Framework to recognize biases
deriving from sexism, ableism, racism, and other social hierarchies and to suggest ways to overcome them.
- Respect the inherent dignity of each person
- Respect diversity among people
- Promote, protect, respect and help to ensure the realization of human rights and fundamental freedoms for all people
- Contribute to the promotion and advancement of democratic societies, institutions and processes.
- Work towards social inclusion, equal and active participation, and equal access to resources
- Encourage community-based solutions
- Promote participatory learning based on the theory of learning of Paolo Freire
Working together to identify and eliminate inequities that violate human rights and the inherent dignity of every human being
We do this through:
- Supporting organizational change processes.
- Furthering understanding of the Framework and its potential for change and social
transformation through training and support for applications of the Framework.
- Disseminating the BIAS FREE Framework widely for use around the globe.
- Strengthening and tapping into our Global BIAS FREE Framework Network.
- Developing trainers and a training and resource hub in each region of the world
- Developing and disseminating research, technical and teaching materials that can
be adapted for use by different sectors and audiences in diverse contexts and settings.
- Promoting the cross-fertilization of ideas and sharing of solutions to inequities across regions.
- Supporting a web-based database for input of examples of biases uncovered through applications of the
Framework or for retrieval of evidence for policy-making and/or research.
- Empowering people to use the Framework in adopting human rights, people-centred, and community-based approaches.
- Working with grass-roots organizations, social activists, policy-makers, international organizations, governments,
elementary and secondary school students, academics and university students or researchers, research institutes, disabled peoples
organizations, Aboriginal peoples, the lesbian gay intersex and transgender community, racialized communities and
children and youth organizations.
Last Updated: 02-August-2011
© copyright 2009 BIAS FREE Inc.